As always, the Music Department has been a bee-hive of activities. A visitor in the music block will always hear someone practising, having a lesson, listening to music as part of History of Music, fine-tuning an own composition or rehearsing with an accompanist for a performance. The Music Department is not a quiet place!
The Music Department of Pro Arte Alphen Park is a small, but busy department, and most of the time a performance or concert is happening somewhere, or is in the pipeline.
Pro Arte Symphonic Pop Orchestra
Exciting plans came to fruition this week when Pro Arte Alphen Park announced that they are going to form a symphonic pop orchestra in 2014. The Head Master of the school Mr Johann Güldenpfennig is optimistic that this venture will provide an opportunity to many young musicians in Pretoria to play in a group together.
The services of one of the most able conductors have been acquired in the person of Jeff Cole. He has a lot of experience in forming new bands and orchestras and developing them up to great heights.
His aim is to start with a core group and extend it to accommodate all instruments like brass, woodwind, saxophones, guitars, bass guitars, string bass, keyboards, percussion, drums, marimbas and xylophone.
Orchestra members are going to be canvassed from all over the city. Young musicians between 10 and 21 years will be welcome to play in the orchestra at Pro Arte School every Tuesday from 16h00 to 18h00.
Jeff Cole has some brilliant ideas for the music they are going to perform because he knows what the youngsters like to play. Music genres like pop and rock, classics, music from the movies and musicals, simply everything from Bach to Bieber will be offered.
It is the aim of this new orchestra to be very competitive and will participate in arts festivals, youth concerts and competitions like the SA Marching and Concert Band Festivals.
Rehearsals are going to start on 21 January 2014 at 16h00. The first get-together will take the form of an Open Day where parents and musicians will meet each other and be briefed by Mr Cole.
Aspiring young virtuosos may contact Pro Arte Arts Academy for more details.
On 14 March the music staff members showcased their skills at a concert of outstanding standard. In spite of a blackout (thanks to ESKOM!) the performance took place by candle- and gaslight. Lunga Mndau (gr 10) accompanied the staff marimba-ensemble on djembe, and did a stunning job- well done!
Pro Arte Tutti
Our first concert for the year was the Pro Arte Tutti, and almost every music learner was on stage, whether as soloist or as part of an ensemble. Parents and visitors
Barnyard Theatres Talent Search
The following voice learners went through to the semi-finals of the Barnyard Theatres Talent Search:
Grade 8: Naledi Ngwenda, Zoe Jephta
Grade 11: Lindelwa Dlamini, Ashton-Ray da Silva
Grade 12: Luke de Agrela, Tshegofatso Moumakoe, Kamogelo Matsoso
Of these, Kamogelo, Luke and Naledi were in the finals – we are VERY proud of you all!
ROEDEAN YAMAHA LOVEMORE COMPETITION
Four learners participated in the Roedean competition on 4 June, and all four received distinctions for their performances – well done to Hye-Young son (flute, gr 11), Kamogelo Matsoso (flute, gr 12), Thembi Maswanganye (violin, gr 12) and Esther Chanda (recorder,gr 12).
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL TALENT CHAMPIONSHIPS
Rex Maree (gr 9) is ‘n tromstel-speler met ‘n missie. Hy is deur na die finale rondte van hierdie nasionale kompetisie – baie geluk, en hou ons naam hoog!
KOLLIGKONSERTE, BROOKLYN TEATER
During July our learners performed in the Brooklyn theatre on Saturday mornings as part of Salon Music’s Spotlight Concert series. All did a stunning job, and the audience did not hesitate to show their appreciation. Well done to the voice learners, as well as Esther Chanda, who showcased professional behaviour on stage during these events!
HOW TO BECOME A PART OF THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Auditions for acceptance into the Music Department are held throughout the year – please make an appointment with the Head of Department.
The minimum requirements are as follows:
- For grade 8: One instrument on at least grade 2 level1 , Music Theory on grade 1 level.
- For grade 9: One instrument on at least grade 3 level, Music Theory on grade 2 level.
- For grade 10: One instrument on at least grade 4 level, a second instrument on at least grade 3 level, Music Theory on at least grade 3 level.
- For grade 11: One instrument on at least grade 5 level, a second instrument on at least grade 4 level, Music Theory on at least grade 4 level.
- 1 Refer to the standards set by the external examining bodies of UNISA, Associated Boards of the Royal Schools of Music or Trinity Guildhall.
- Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world. MARTIN LUTHER
MUSIC DEPARTMENT STAFF 2012
Full Time Staff
- Dr Ronelle Bosman - HEAD
- Flute, Piano, Harmony, History of Music, Aural training, Accompaniment
- Ms Alta Marx
- Piano, Aural training, History of Music, Music Theory, Accompaniment, Arts and Culture
- Ms Martie Jansen van Vuuren
- Piano, History of Music, Harmony and Theory, Accompaniment
- Ms Olivera Nikolič
- Recorder, Music theory, History of Music, Aural training, Arts and Culture
- Dr Riana Bester
- Ms Ronel Du Plessis
- Percussion and African Marimba Ensemble
- Mr Ferenc Levay
- Double bass
Part Time Staff
- Ms Riana Pretorius - Voice Training
- Mr Jonathan Moolman - Guitar
- Ms Toni Ivanova - Cello
- Ms Elfrieda Penzhorn - Piano and Theory
- Ms Viara Markova - Violin
- Mr Braam de Villiers - Saxophone
- Ms Dorothea Overbeck - Violin
- Mr Hendrik Nel - Drumkit